Cadet Course (Submission and Publication)—A course in deciding between self-publishing and traditional publishing, pitching your story, finding and querying agents and editors, and going on submission.
Course Schedule: Wednesdays 9pm EDT, June 8–July 27
- Lesson 1: Choosing Self-Publishing or Traditional
- Lesson 2: Understanding Age Categories and Genres
- Lessons 3–4: Pitching Your Work
- Genre, World, Concept, Theme
- Character, Goal, Obstacles, Stakes
- Lessons 5–6: Submitting Your Work
- Writing the Query Letter (or Back Cover Copy)
- Choosing Agents (or Presses) to Query
- Lesson 7: Responses and Rejections
- Lesson 8: Calls and Contracts—Interview with Jackie Lea Sommers, author of Truest (HarperTeen, 2015)
Can’t make it on Wednesday nights? Don’t worry—the video will be posted on the private site ASAP after the live class.
For a breakdown of each lesson and a trick to saving $50 off the price, see the StoryCadet blog.
Lesson 1—Free to The Writing Reveille subscribers
Lesson 8—Free to the public
What You Get in the Full Package:
- The complete workshop: 8 video lectures with pitching exercises
- A step-by-step walkthrough for writing query letters (or back cover copy)
- A private forum for submitting your exercises and receiving feedback from other students and the course instructor
- 2 query edits from professional editor Lara Willard (2 passes on 1 or 1 pass on 2)
- Invitation to a private Facebook group for StoryCadet alumni
- 50% off any other StoryCadet workshop (limit 1 per course)